Saturday, April 25, 2009

yesterday......

Yesterday, we laid my dads body to rest in Union, South Carolina at Mt Lebanon Baptist Church. My dad grew up in the area and he attended, was baptised and saved at this church as a handsome young lad. Which many people reminded me of how good looking he was these last two days! His body is buried next to our precious Aunt Rodey (Lucy, who will out live everyone) along with his grandparents that raised him. The church is way out in the country...I mean way out in the country....It is gorgeous out there!
The funeral service was absolutely amazing....! It was simple yet classy, which if you know my dad that is him! His body was buried in a blue pin stripped dress shirt with khaki dress pants and yes he did have shoes on.. his favorite light brown Florida shoes.....this is his typical attire...if he's not golfing! The service was lead by Pastor Jimmy Farmer, which my dad and Jimmy grew up together. As a matter of fact, they were best friends growing up and even got saved and baptised together. He had a wonderful message which was on Psalm 90-91. The Lord gave Psalm 91 to my dad and I the day after (October 11, 2008)he was diagnosed with cancer. He even had a couple of stories about my dad...which included my dad being the best baseball player in the neighborhood...Than a cousin of my dads, Danny Ponder played the guitar and sang 3 songs..."What A Friend We Have In Jesus," "Don't Sit Under The Apple Tree," and "In the Garden." My dad would have loved the guitar and singing...! I know I did...
We took my dads body to the grave site and did the final goodbyes..after everyone left I just stood there and watched them put his body in the ground. I think that was the hardest moment. I picked some of the flowers that were left, so I could dry them and keep them forever!
We followed the funeral with a family gathering at my Uncle Grady's house. It was so nice to have all the family together...except we were missing my dad!
After getting home last night, I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth..the bathroom/shower is where I do most of my thinking. I was thinking about our children Ta and Kam, how much of a blessing and a reward they are to us. Kam, was born 10 hours after my dad died. In Psalm 127 it says that children are a reward from the Lord. The Lord told us that Kamdyn was a reward from him to Jacob and I for honoring my dad. I just started crying and thanking the Lord for the confirmation! I have always wanted to honor my parents, especially my dad and the Lord confirmed it with a baby!

Thank you all for praying for Jacob, Taylor, Kamdyn and I during this most difficult season......

2 comments:

Andy H said...

Again I have to say that you and Jake are my heros. Miss you guys and can't wait to see you when you all come back.

Lora said...

praying for you, my friend... lora